7.10.11

MORE HOME PROJECTS

I've been struggling with what to do for a headboard.  So... I explored blogs.  Kyle and I spend a lot of time in the bedroom, in our bed.  (i know what you're thinking... not T.M.I.  I mean... sitting up, on our computers, working on websites, homework, auto cad... all leaning against the wall)  For this reason, whatever headboard I chose would have to support our backs but not take up any room... (knocks out antique windows, doors, art work, etc.)

Decision: paint a "faux" headboard.

story goes like this:
Kyle had a hockey game so I stayed home (lost my keys, actually) and taped a pattern to paint the walls.  I found a stencil on a website and drew everything out and started painting away.  Whoever painted the bedroom walls in this house before used a high gloss paint (dumb choice) so it was requiring three coats of paint in TINY little details with a TINY little brush.  Tedious can't even describe the kinks my hands were getting.  After standing back... I hated it.  : (  I know, right?  Literally spending hours and it was for nothing.  

Kyle came home, we talked... I told him to be careful around the paint area (waiting for the things to dry so i could continue with another coat...) five minutes pass and THIS happens:


oops.  poor kyle.  these things always happen to him and he feels terrible for it. (no, i never put a drop cloth under things i hand paint)

Luckily we just pushed the bed over it.  We'll have to pay for new carpet upon departure.  I totally hated the pattern on the wall though.... I also did some frilly curves at the top and it looked awful.  Kyle and I lean towards things a little more geometric so I decided on a Jonathan-Adler-esque print for another day.  As for now, I painted a giant rectangle on my wall and called it a day.  I'm pretty pleased with it.  Our bed feels like a big deal now.  



^^That's the little mock-up design I'll be painting on top... eventually^^
***isn't the color AWESOME????  It was one of the "super saturated/vibrant" paint chips that is a total loner in the display-- you know, they have their own space instead of a standard shaded paint chip swatch.  It's special... which makes me nervous to paint a design on top... color ideas?***

OTHER PROJECT:
I picked out colors for a stripe to go around our living room a month ago.  I've been waiting for a little extra change to purchase the paint, and this week I was able to knock out the plan... just on a smaller scale. (three valspar samples @2.50 each=affordable choice)  The front door isn't centered on our living room which throws off the balance of the room and it directs straight to a blank space in our wall.  Awkward feeling when you walk in so... parallel to the front door I painted a vertical stripe instead of the original horizontal plan.  It balances out the room really well with the TV/entertainment center being so dark.  

  

Which brings me to the dresser/entertainment center.  It's another ksl find for $30.00 and has a center cabinet that opens and four drawers on the side.  We cut a hole in the back for chords to wire through and it looks a million times better than chords all over the floor.

It's black with gold detailing... a little hollywood regency style going on, which I default to sometimes.


I really need a better camera.  The fire-hazard we're hiding behind the closed doors:


Finally, a few things I've picked up around town over the past week-or-so:


record- $2 @ antique shop in Spanish Fork
frame- $6.00 (50% off frames) @ Hobby Lobby


frame- $3.50 (SUPER CLEARENCE) @ Pier One
old post cards- $.50 each @ antique shop in Spanish Fork
(post cards are of Detroit and Atlanta-- major cities close to where Kyle and I grew up)

lamp base- $7.99 (clearance) @ Target
lamp shade- $3.00 (AS IS... out of plastic wrap and staged in a room) @ IKEA


LEFT: 
dinner plate: $.75 (Vera Bradley for Kohls) @ D.I.
salad plate: 2.99 (Lenox) @ TJ Maxx
napkin: $.25 (extra 75% off CLEARANCE) @ BedBath&Beyond
napkin ring: $.05 (SUPER CLEARANCE) @ BedBath&Beyond
RIGHT:
dinner plate: $.75 @ D.I.
salad plate: $.50 (Fiestaware) @ D.I.
napkin: $.25 (SUPER CLEARANCE) @ BedBath&Beyond
napkin ring: $1.99 (50% off) @ Pier One


LEFT:
dinner plate: $.50 (Crate and Barrel) @ D.I.
salad plate: $.50 (Anthropologie) @ D.I.
napkin: $.25 (extra 75% off CLEARANCE) @ BedBath&Beyond
napkin ring: $.99 (MAJOR CLEARANCE) @ Pier One
RIGHT:
dinner plate: $.75 (Gibson Dinnerware) @ D.I.
salad plate: $.25 @ D.I.
napkin: $.15 (SUPER CLEARANCE) @ BedBath&Beyond
napkin ring: $.99 (MAJOR CLEARANCE) @ Pier One




1 comment:

  1. GOOD JOB. lovin' this home decor. it makes me really excited to get back to america and do fun stuff for my own house.
    P.S. you've probably already seen this since you're way ahead of the game but this is a cool headboard idea
    http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/chicago/february-jumpstart-2009-entries/how-to-diy-tufted-headboard-charissas-february-jumpstart-project-2009-076400

    ReplyDelete