24.8.11

not too shabby...

Okay-- here's a good story.  Take it however you would like... if you're religious, like me, here's to the many blessings and watchful eye my Heavenly Father has graciously bestowed upon me.  If you're a little more on the "not so sure there is a higher power" side, this is some GOOD karma.


Anyways, I've been on Craigslist/KSL for weeks... searching for those perfect pieces to make our house look half-way decent.  Being on a budget, we've been leaning toward the mid-century pieces.  For many reasons... such as:

1. They carry with them a less-is-more aesthetic (our house seems so empty since I left so much of my stuff back in Georgia)
2. They aren't popular with the "more traditional" Mormon women in love with R.C. Willey furniture-- (this means they are cheap to buy used)
3. I have this intense love for modernist things and the history behind their design

So.... ANYWAYS.  back to the main story.

The whole couch thing was a REAL difficulty.  Everything at DI was disgusting when it came to the sofa department.  I mean, nasty.  The stains... well, I won't go there.  The only affordable things listed on KSL and Craigslist had to be slipcovered... and, no offense to the slip-cover crowd, I just didn't want to be one of those.  If I'm going to spend ANY money on a couch, (even if its only $10) I better like the upholstery enough to have it showing.  The not-so-affordable possible options were all gigantic sectionals... many of them were vinyl and if they weren't, they were reclining puffy seats retired from the "family theatre room".  Seriously, there are TONS of those up for grabs.

Finally, the day we moved into our little home, I FOUND it!!  An awesome, retro, orange, (yes, ORANGE) vintage, (because it's all we can afford right now... don't hate) LOW TO THE GROUND, three-seater COUCH.  The best part:  FOR $50.00!!!!!!

I immediately texted the number and crossed my fingers it was still available.  I got a text back and it literally had been posted for less than an hour.  I asked to come take a look that evening; we made arrangements and when I got the address, Kyle and I realized.... it was three houses down from us.

**SIDE NOTE: I'm pretty social, always have been, but I definitely was a little worried coming to Utah.  Worried I wouldn't really find anyone to relate to, concerned Kyle and I would just stick to ourselves and I would be that wife who felt she had to cling to her husband at all times.  I had been hoping Kyle and I would meet some friends in the same life-stage we are in... people we could be social with.**

Long story short, this couch was coming from a super cute couple, married 2 years.  Husband applying to medical school, wife working as a nanny but hoping to go to Interior Design school asap.  (I know, right?)  Funnier part.... they drive a white Jeep Grand Cherokee... same year and model as mine.  We're twins.  Totally.  Not really, but it was nice to have a couple to see at church and to talk with.  I so looked forward to church on Sunday so I could meet them more, and hopefully meet others in the same category.  The girl is super sweet, offered us storage at their house if we need it.  How nice.  And... there are tons of newlywed couples at church who are in the same situation, so I'm sure the friend thing won't be an issue.... But, the couch purchase definitely put me at ease in the best way.

So, here it is in all it's glory... our couch.  (Please ignore all of the clutter in the background.  eventually these pictures will be of an actual room that is set up, but for now... this is all I have)


Even better: I have been looking for job postings and opportunities since I got here.  My salary requirements are probably a little over what Utah pays, which would explain my current unemployment.  Really though, the amount of design jobs here are slim... at least, there aren't any posted.  Well, since I already took one much-needed year off from school, I figured I should try to find a job in architecture or interior design, if the price was right and if I could find any connections.  I haven't had much luck, until YESTERDAY.

Turns out, the person I had been corresponding with over e-mail to purchase the Marcel Breuer Wassily Chair is a pretty well-known architect in the area.  He has worked for several firms and with some awesome designers and architects.  We immediately hit it off and had a great discussion last night when Kyle and I picked up the chair.  He literally sat me down, pulled out his phone and gave me names and numbers to all the top firms in the Salt Lake area.  How amazing is that?  Some people are so nice.  I was so excited, and researching the firms has given me so much motivation already.

Here is the Marcel Chair.... turns out, it was a gift from the first architect he had ever worked for 19 years ago.  Pretty awesome shape/condition... $150.00


Utah has restored my faith in Craigslist/Classifieds.  I definitely am grateful to have had these little experiences.  I know someone is watching over me, and I know I am supposed to be here.  Even though leaving Maui, the Grahams, and my family were less-than-appealing in the beginning, I am so happy with Kyle.  And, I  am so excited to see what happens for us next.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there!! So fun to stumble upon this little number!! Love it! Great story. We love you guys and are so glad you are here. You are totally being watched over and so are we for you bring sent here:) thanks again for dinner tonight, it was fab!

    ReplyDelete